This book consists essentially of two parts: the first provides an extensive survey of the materials relating to the 1929 building and the critical responses to it. The second part sets out to present in some detail the technical treatment of the task of reconstructing the pavilion. The explanation of this process is thus the book’s fundamental objective. The graphic documentation illustrating the two parts has considerable archive value in its own right, while some fifty full-colour plates reveal the reconstructed building of the present, originally designed as a modest pavilion and since elevated to the status of the paradigm of the 20th century architecture.
The authors of the book are the architects who carried out the reconstruction of the pavilion:
Ignasi de Solà-Morales, PhD in Architecture and Professor of Theory and History of Architecture at the Escola Tècnica Superior d’Arquitectura de Barcelona since 1978, visiting professor at various universities in Span and internationally and author of numerous books and articles of architectural history and criticism.
Cristian Cirici, graduated from the Escola Tècnica Superior d’Arquitectura de Barcelona in 1965, founding member of Studio PER and B.D. Ediciones de Diseño, visiting professor at numerous universities around the world, and several times winner of FAD design awards.
Fernando Ramos, graduated from the Escola Tècnica Superior d’Arquitectura de Barcelona in 1969, PhD in Architecture and Professor of Construction at the same School and its Director in the late 80s, member of the European Commission Commission for the monitoring of the architectural profession, and associate architect with Richard Meier on the construction of the Museum of Contemporary Art (MACBA) in Barcelona.