The document of “New” architecture generated by Toyo Ito is finally released. Interviews were taken with various specialists in the most appropriate timing of each phase: beginning of designing, under construction, and completion. Three works featured in this book are the evidence that Toyo Ito & Associates, Architects has been trying to break new ground not only in design but also in technical aspects: structure and construction. Dramatic process has been developed towards the realization of unprecedented architecture.
The introduction is the interview of Toyo Ito taken by Yoshio Futagawa. He frankly talked about future prospects for his architecture. In the end of each chapter, completed works are introduced with stunning photographs.
“Present TOYO ITO”
Interviewer: Yoshio Futagawa
Tama Art University Library (Hachioji Campus)
- Phase 1 Prologue
- Phase 2 Studies for detailed design
- Phase 3 On-site report
- Phase 4 Furniture design and layout
- Phase 5 Details of curved glass
- Explanation of structure Back to the primitive stage with the latest technologies
- Description of work Tama Art University Library(Hachioji Campus)
At the chapter of Tama Art University Library, design transition from the initial proposal to the final plan is clearly shown. (one-story, underground, underground+ground floor, two stories, three stories etc..) The construction technique is reported with the engineers’ voices. It is revealed how to actualize distinctive steel/concrete composite arches and curved glass windows flush with the outer walls.
- Phase 1 Prologue
- Phase 2 Consideration after the competition
- Phase 3 Studies for detailed design
- Phase 4 Structural Studies
- Phase 5 Construction of steel plate concrete
- Phase 6 Furniture design
- Description of work Za-Koenji
The final plan of Za Koenji was greatly changed from the winning proposal of the competition.
The back stage of this project becomes clear by the interviews with Toyo Ito, his staffs and
the examination committee: Makoto Sato.
The architects and engineers gave talks about structure, construction, and manufacture of steel plate, and it is thoroughly described how they executed characteristic curved steel plate roof.
National Taiwan University, New College of Social Science
- Phase 1 Design Process
- Phase 2 Design of a bookshelf
- Phase 3 88 columes and 4 types of capital
- Phase 4 Bookshelves and other furniture for open stacks
- Description of work National Taiwan University, New College of Social Science
The development process of “National Taiwan University, New College of Social Science” is presented in this chapter;
The initial proposal of mesh façade, the second proposal of 3 high-rises + 1 low-rise, and the final program that possesses a separated library which structure arises from the algorithm of the double spiral.
As well as other two projects, Kazuko Fujie who cooperated in furniture design joined in the interview and talked about the studies of bookshelves layout.